Wednesday, April 23, 2014

At Calvary

There is an old hymn that we used to sing in church when I was growing up. It was called "At Calvary". There is just something about that hymn that speaks to me and gives me a reminder of just how amazing God's love really is.

"Years I spent in vanity and pride, caring not my Lord was crucified, knowing not it was for me He died at Calvary."

This first verse relates how someone might know about God, the stories in the Bible, or even be active in their church, yet not value the sacrifice of Jesus for them individually. Jesus laid aside the full expression of His deity, lived a sinless life, and submitted Himself to the plan of salvation which ended in His eventual crucifixion. More than this, He did it all for you to show the glory of His love and forgiveness.

"By God's word, at lat, my sin I learned. Then I trembled at the Law I'd spurned, 'til my guilty soul, imploring, turned to Calvary. Mercy there was great and grace was free. Pardon there was multiplied to me. There my burdened soul found liberty, at Calvary."

An honest reading of God's word opens the eyes of the reader to the holiness of God's character. In light of that holiness, we see ourselves as falling far short of God's glory. Yet, at the cross God's mercy was plainly seen as the required payment for our sin was payed by God Himself. Forgiveness is offered as a free gift!

"Now I've given to Jesus everything. Now I gladly own Him as my king. Now my raptured soul can only sing of Calvary".

This verse speaks of a life that is totally surrendered to the Lord. Surrender like this is not a matter of begrudging submission, but rather a joyful handing over of the keys to your life to the God who created you and cares deeply for your very best.

"Oh the love that drew salvation's plan, oh the grace that brought it down to man. Oh the mighty gulf that God did span at Calvary."


We find salvation, forgiveness, and God's grace at the foot of the cross.   

No comments:

Post a Comment