Monday, April 14, 2014

Lamp and Light


Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

The word of God, the Bible, is a precious gift. It is most likely that in your home, you have at least one copy of the Bible, perhaps even more than one. More than a collection of interesting stories and spiritual proverbs, the Bible is a beautiful telling of God's story working throughout history in the lives of individuals, families, and nations. It is filled with stories of intrigue, romance, vengeance, conquest, defeat, sorrow, joy, wisdom and ultimate victory.

This verse says that God's word is "a lamp to my feet and a light to my path". I thought of this just the other night when I walked out of the house to go to the shop in total darkness. The clouds covered the sky, as wind and cold rain blew across the yard. With no light from moon or stars, and without a flashlight, I had to take my time to get there, being careful not to run into a tree or other obstacles. But on the way back to the house, with a little light in one of the windows, it seemed easier to navigate the darkness, because it provided me a clue as to where I should go. When I returned to the shop a little later on, I grabbed a flashlight to help light my way, and walked with ease.

God's word is like that when we are facing even daily decisions and looking for the direction we should go. We can find wisdom in the things God has said in His word. We can find hope, forgiveness, and a sense of mission as we get to know God through the pages of His word.

Nestled within the pages of scripture, , are these words from Psalm 103, "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." What an incredible promise!

God, the creator of the universe, cares enough about humanity to bless us in very real and tangible ways. He forgives sin, offers healing, restores broken lives, and raises us to a place of honor, where He gives us a crown made of His love and mercy. Like a mother or father who feeds their children with good food that will help them become strong and healthy, God satisfies our spiritual need with Himself. As pastor and author John Piper has said, "God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him".

How is your relationship with God? Is it strong and healthy, struggling to grow, weak and failing? You will do yourself a great favor just by opening up His word to learn of Him, who loves you and desires His very best for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment